Sunday 20 May 2012

Cathedral Windows ...

... Yesterday I went to an all day workshop on a supposedly new way of doing cathedral window blocks all by machine. When I heard about it, I thought "aha!  I like the sound of that.  I love Cathedral Windows but they do take a long time to make. This sounds quick and easy." 
Well it was and it wasn't really.  I did learn several things.  One, I do NOT like using a machine to blind hem things, two, there is really nothing new in this world, as they are just folded geese, sewn together, and three, they make for some very bulky seams that poor Baby Brother struggled to sew over. This is what I achieved.  Maybe, if I'd done more sewing, and less chatting I'd have finished it?
Still, it was a fun day. spent with friends including Quilthaze, who has a photo of a very triumphant me, when I finished my first one!  There are also more photos on the Tuesday Quilters blog.  Of course, me, being me, left my camera at home!


As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, last night we went down the road for a little bit of a do.  The hostess is moving in about 10 days, and invited a few of us in for a drink before she went.  I've heard of a house-warming party, so was this a house-chilling I wonder?

16 comments:

  1. I love the pillows and pincushins I saw, and your version looks neat to me. I can see where color choice makes a big difference in this block. Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of fabrics. I adore cathedral windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done small items this way - good for pillows to give strength to, but not a whole quilt - what a lug! But as you said - a day of sewing with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cathedral Windows look great. I am just starting to learn about them from a bee and my guild, but finding they are very time consuming and heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you've done! I totally understand about the practicality of "new methods." What a fun day with quilt friends, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of them, but never tried them. Yours look lovely...maybe I will give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they look very lovely! the colours are great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how they look so far!!! Great fabric!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fabrics you chose. Sounds like you had an interesting day with your quilt friends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, and I love the colors you've chosen. Cathedral Windows does have a bulky seam doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely to me. I do so hope that after you've had a chance to play with this technique you'll share more insights. I love the Cathedral Windows, but haven't had much time to create with the various techniques. I definitely respect your opinion so I look forward to hearing what you conclude.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely to me. I do so hope that after you've had a chance to play with this technique you'll share more insights. I love the Cathedral Windows, but haven't had much time to create with the various techniques. I definitely respect your opinion so I look forward to hearing what you conclude.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the Cathedral Windows! Love the fantastic use of color! I would love to learn this technique but I am not sure of all the machine sewing. I agree that it could get rather bulky in places. All the projects are gorgeous, love them all! Thank you for sharing.

    Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always admired CW too and I've never attempted it - so good for you.
    I hope you post about it again and show us how it is coming.
    yea, I've never heard of an exit party, but it's a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like them. And I appreciate all the info about thick seams. This way when I choose this for a project and start whining, you can say 'I told you so'. But the best thing was you had fun with the girls, which is the best part of workshops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look very pretty. I had seen this technique before and wondered how it "sewed out". Glad it was a good day with friends.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments, so please do leave them and wherever possible I will reply to you by email.

09 10